Nightguards for Bruxism – McKinney,TX
Sleep Peacefully & Protect Your Teeth
Grinding is a very common symptom for most people today and most of the grinding and related side effects go undiagnosed or unidentified if routine dental appointments are not maintained. Another benefit of keeping up with preventative care is keeping a check on your joint and muscles that help you bite to evaluate for TMJ problems and grinding.
Ready to Learn More? Schedule an Appointment!Schedule an Appointment OnlineCall Us Today! 214-504-0500
What is Bruxism
Bruxism or grinding is a symptom in people with TMJ problems where someone unconsciously clenches their jaw and grinds their teeth, and for many, it actually occurs while they are asleep. Over time, this excessive force can wear down the teeth, causing them to become more sensitive, and in severe situations, it may also cause fracture or breakdown of tooth structure!
If a patient displays signs and symptoms of grinding, we may recommend a nightguard. This is a small, custom-made oral appliance that is worn at night but may also be worn during the day depending on the intensity of grinding and it works by placing a protective barrier between the teeth to absorb the forces of grinding and prevent fracture and trauma to the teeth.
- Tired achy feeling around the jaws on one or both sides
- Headaches and neck pain radiating to the ear
- Wear facets seen on teeth in the form of flattening in the front teeth and dips in enamel on the back teeth
- Some forms of grinding may cause gum disease with bleeding and inflammation of gums.
- Fractures or lines on teeth surfaces indicating breakdown
- Gum recession
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures